Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I Was Running...


Forrest Gump: "That day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road, and when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured since I run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason, I just kept on going. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured since I've gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going..."

This part in the movie, "Forrest Gump", was running through my head this morning. Reason being we arrived at the base of the hill at 0530 for some crack-of-the-dawn PT courtesy of SSG Burrell. I'm waiting around and members of our illustrious unit amble over and SSG Burrell exclaims, "We're going to run around Z Lake!" Thoughts start sauntering through my head..."Oh man...that's a big lake...I did PT last night in the gym...I wanna crawl back into my warm bed...etc."

So, thoughts aside, we formed up and started stretching. After stretching arms and legs to get the blood flowing, we started off and 1SG Martinez zips ahead of me, SGT Risner and SSG Burrell. Burrell, the talker, began rambling about this and that as we all keep in step. Me and SGT Risner were just content to run and try to keep up with 1SG. Before long, 1SG was a small speck in the distance and I forgot about him.

About mid-way through this run, I flashed back to my days as a cadet at the University of Houston. Back in 1997-1998, me and the other MSIII cadets ran around Roberston Stadium, then hit the ramps inside the stadium that you would walk up to get to your seat. Other days we would run the aisles inside of Hoffheinz Pavillion. Now, mind you, I was younger then but our instructor, MSG Riggs (probably around 45-50 yrs old then) was always kicking our butts in PT. I could never pass him. 1SG Martinez reminded me of him today.

Another thing about this run is the fact that I really don't recall any run I've done since then that was THAT long. According to a few people, that run was about 5K. It wound around small inlets and lined the small streets of Camp Liberty so the scenery wasn't lacking. Now, as I am typing this, my legs agree with SGT Risner who said it felt like 10 miles.

SSG Burrell noticed a group ahead of us and took off to join and then pass them. Show off. SGT Risner and I continued to shuffle onward, finishing the longest run in my recent memory in about 27 minutes. Not too shabby...

In the movie, Forrest is bombarded with questions from reporters who are struggling to maintain his pace. He answers with, "I just felt like running!" Well, I didn't just feel like running but, this isn't a movie. We're in a warzone and PT is essential to maintain our health and helps when we are in full gear and carrying our PA equipment. FYI, no, I don't hate PT...once we get going I actually enjoy it. It's a great cohesion tool for a unit too.

I can only imagine what we'll do next time so, thanks to SSG Burrell for putting together a pretty dang good running regiment for our unit PT....and 1SG, wait until we do sprints! I'll leave you in the dust....yelling, "Ruunnnn Forrest!"

"Did I ever tell you that I can run like the wind blows?" --short distances that is.

2 comments:

  1. The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 03/18/2009 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like this blog a lot, 143!

    ReplyDelete