Sunday, June 28, 2009

Like a Blanket Across the Sky...

I think I'm getting pretty familiar with the weather patterns here. Yesterday, it was pretty hot again...around 122. After chow we came back to the MOC and I noticed that the wind was picking up and there was a light haze in the air.

The afternoon passed and we went to chow again (dinner). By this time, the wind had increased and I could see a darker haze off on the horizon. I told SGT Fardette that it looked like we might get a dust storm soon. We ate dinner and I went to my CHU for the night.

When I woke up this morning, I looked up at the window and noticed the tan/orange light streaming in through the blinds. Great, I thought. When SFC Quebec opened the door to leave, I peered outside and saw that a dust storm had come in. I got out of bed and got dressed. When I went outside to brush my teeth it was like I was on Mars. There was a light orangish tint to the sky and you couldn't see beyond 75 feet or so. The good thing about this weather when it occurs during the day is it blots out the sun's direct rays.

When I went by the thermometer, I checked the temperature. It was 98 degrees at around 0930. Nice. Usually, by this time, it's approaching 105. So, although the dust storm isn't the best type of weather to be in, it does help keep the temperature from rising.

On my way to the fuel point, I took a couple pictures to give people back home an idea of what it looks like here during a dust storm. Enjoy...


No comments:

Post a Comment